Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dubrovnik, Croatia and Mostar, Bosnia

Dubrovnik was fantastic. . . although again it did have steps and I think we found them all.  At least Belinda tried to find them all.  We met Thomas here and the party began.  Our apartment (two floors and two bedrooms) was within the walled city but above the plaza so our first full day we walked easily down to the plaza and shopped.  Belinda, Alice, and Thomas shopped.  I had to find an ATM.  After a few hours of this, we had to go back to our place.  I swear to high heaven, we walked at least 1/4 miles UP THE DAMN STEPS !  From then on, I insisted that we dine at a little eatery just next door called "Lady PeePee."  There was a statue our front.  If you can't imagine what it looked like, email me and I'll send you the picture.  Belinda won't let me post it.


We hired a local driver, with a nice, large van, to drive us to Mostar, Bosnia, where there was a lot of fighing in 1992.  The bridge above, originally built in 1666, was the symbol of unity between the Orthodox Christians and the Muslims.  It was a fascinating journey and the people were very friendly.  Read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar