Tuesday, September 14, 2010

News From Zadar, Croatia (Look it up ! )

A brief update to let you know we are back in urban Croatia, having spent the last few days on a hill town (Motovun) and at Plitvice Lakes National Park.  Beautiful days and nights with wonderful sunsets in Motovun.  Not so nice in Plitvice.  But it was perfect hiking weather. 


Plitvice (Plit-vee-chay) has a number of lakes that all cascade down to the next one in a series of waterfalls (I'll post picts hopefully in the next day or so).  Very beautiful.  Overcast there but as I said, perfect hiking weather.  Of course, Belinda the Goat, as her Aunt Alice calls her) was not happy with a 2  hour hike and had to continue with Alice to some caves.  Me, I watched people.  You could count the US folks on one hand, if you wanted to.  The people here are very nice, I think.  I can't understand them but they smile at us.
  
One thing I think I've mentioned before is that I do NOT like to drive when I travel outside the US.  First, I don't get to see anything.  Second, I can't read the signs.  Third, I can not figure out the rules of the road.  I do know that flashing headlights in my mirror mean "Get out of my way you stupid tourist !"  And some of these drop offs are 300 or 400 feet straight down to the Adriatic.  Sheeeeit !  I quit looking.  And then Belinda says from the passenger seat "I've had my foot on the brake for the last 50km", like she knows what a kilometer is.  Well, neither do I, I guess.  So we come from the north through this long tunnel at 130km per hour.  That's the limit anyway, and some guy in a Porsche SUV blows by at least twice my speed.

OK, the little voice in my computer says I have two minutes left so I'll sign off....ciao