Friday, October 1, 2010

Nice is


Have I moved up the evolutionary ladder ?  Is the title a pun?  We are in Nice, France,  now.  Beautiful city but larger than I imagined.  About 450,000 people but mostly French !  Everything is in French.  Misenga where are you.  I don't like to make comparisons but since you aren't here, let me tell you some of the differences between France and Italy.  In Italy, most everthing is in Italian or English.  Thoughtful.  In France, they apparetnly are too snobbish to think there are other languages. Maybe that's just in Nice.  At least, that's what I was told.  In France, the trains and train stations are clean.  Italy, not so much.  But we do have the largest shower at our Le Royale.  Thanks Dave and Mary.  Right on the water.  All you see out our window is the Mediterranean.  Charming.  I thought maybe some of you missed that word.  The downside is that I feel like I have to keep my shirt tucked in.  Last night we ate at a nice little French Asian self-serve place.  Good food and inexpensive.  Then we headed for something I saw on the "tourist" row of restaurants - crepes!!!  Nutella crepes !!!  Oh I love those.  They weren't as good as Misenga used to make but they hit the spot.

Today is what Belinda calls a "down day".  That means we only walk for 5-6 hours.  Probably take a bus to Monte Carlo, Monaco, and Eze.  I see there is a city called Beausoleil nearby.  I used to work with a Beausoleil at Chemeketa.  Wished I had his email.  Maybe we could get a free meal.  So, we'll walk to the bus station and try to figure out what bus to take.  Then we'll walk around whereever we end up.  Walk back to the bus stop, back to our hotel, then walk out for something to eat, then back to the hotel for a nap, then back out for another mean (crepes !), then back to the hotel.  A nice, quiet "down day".

ciao